I decided to revive the “My Brazil World Cup” project from 2014, thinking it would be quick and easy to set it up for 2018. It wasn’t quick… collecting all the info and the pictures, setting everything back up… in any case. Here it is: worldcupalbums.com
In this web app, optimized for mobile browsers, you collect virtual stickers themed around the upcoming World Cup trying to complete a collection. You buy stickers using “Russios”, which you obtain by spinning a roulette every 10 minutes. You can trade repeated stickers with your enemies.
This is heavily based on a tradition (mostly South American?) of collecting stickers to fill an “album”. (I guess it’s the equivalent of Sports Trading Cards in North America). Panini has traditionally published and distributed the official FIFA World Cup Albums for ages (Since Mexico 1970). I grew up seeing my father do this, and the tradition keeps going.
There’s also an official virtual album, but mine is better.
Well, now that the world cup has started, I gotta mark this project as finished. I also did a drawing for a tshirt among the people who completed the virtual album.
What were the results? I learned a bit about JQueryMobile, managed to create an application targeted to the local audience and got some little exposure. I also ended up with the “Collections” framework I might possibly do something with later on.
Another financially unsuccessful project, but at least friends and family had a little bit of fun.
Bought the domain two years ago hoping it would be of any use. Didn’t know what to do with it until last weekend.
In http://mybrazilworldcup.net you can create a collection of pictures related to Brazil and the 2014 world cup, and share it with your friends.
Technically speaking, it’s a mobile optimized website built using JQueryMobile+JSP for the frontend and a Java+MySQL backend, using Slashware Web Framework.
I built it with simplicity in mind, knowing that the least I wanted was another project going off-control.
Continued building my JQueryMobile knowledge, a journey I began with the PX2 engine. I also integrated ads from both appia.com and google adsense, and used implicit internationalization for the first time (it works in English, Spanish and Portuguese).