OpenArthurian X6 – Pushing forward, slowly.

Campaign update

I worked on the backlog items, finishing the changes so that the player can walk over party members while on exploration mode. I also have WIP in two different fronts: Ranged weapons (with ammunition and rotating projectiles) and fixes on the “alignment” system to distinguish between party members, friendly NPCs and unaligned “animals”.

I was not able to release the alpha version on December, but I’ve set myself to release a public dev version in January, which should be useable to create your own scenarios (even if it’s not going to be very user friendly!)

Both Jucarave and I started the year quite busy, but the good news is Jucarave has committed to push forward the project on February and I believe I will be able to do that too!

Let’s hope for a bigger update next month!

Ananias 2.4.4 released for iOS

It was about time to make a release for iOS. The last release was 2.4.1 from July 10, 2017! I was hoping to pack more into it but since there are many good gameplay changes (including a new class), a critical UI fix, and it’s unlikely I’ll be able to work on it in the next couple months, I figured it was a good time to do it.

New version coming soon to Newgrounds and GameJoltHere’s a summary of the changes.

Two new articles added to roguetemple

Based on my recent research and considerations of the roguelikes in the videogames scene in 2018, I just published two new articles into Temple of the Roguelike. Both originate from my talk on the Roguelike Celebration 2017.

The first one is “A short history of the “roguelike” term“, which expands upon my previous article “On the Historical Origin of the “Roguelike” Term“, covering the events after the term was established and the subsequent confusion.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 12.08.04 AM
A fragment from the second age of roguelike development.

The other related article is What is a Traditional Roguelike; after 10 years of trying to come up with long lists of definitions, I narrowed it down to 4 critical aspects I think traditional roguelikes should keep:

1. Permanent Consequences

The outcome of any action you take into the game cannot be rolled back by reloading a saved game (including death).

This encourages both careful tactical play and long-term strategies and planning and increases the excitement of advancing through the procedural content generated by the game.

2. Character-centric

The player personifies a single character into the game at a time, this is in contrast to both a.) games where the player doesn’t control person-like characters directly (for example puzzles) and b.) “god” style games where the player is an abstract entity creating and controlling multiple discardable “units”.

Besides providing a common, shared base format for the Traditional Roguelikes, being character-centric helps the player establish a strong relationship with the individual characters, increasing the impact of the permanent consequences.

3. Procedural content

Increases the replayability of the game by having most or all of the world be generated by the game for every new gameplay session.

In addition to providing an incentive for players to dig into the game, procedural content serves as a tool to prevent the player from being frustrated by the harsh effect of permanent consequences, having to start gameplay session from scratch frequently.

4. Turn Based

Gameplay is similar to a board game where you can think your actions carefully, having infinite time to reflect on your available options to face the situations that the game presents you with the resources you have at hand.

This is relevant given consequences are permanent, and the intent of the game is not testing how quick the player can take an acceptable decision but rather challenging him to think out the best move he can make in critical scenarios.