Decided to pack a new version, this one contains small but important gameplay tweaks, seeking to make the Arcane, Hunter and Alchemist classes be more fun to play. Full changeset available below.
- Standard Edition
- Fellowship Edition
- New skill for Alchemist: Can use reagents multiple times
- New spell: Momi Gyr (Create Arrows) first circle of Matter magic. Creates a pack of arrows (quantity depends on the magic power)
- New spell: Rew Ram (Attack self) first cirlce of Mind magic. Makes an enemy attack himself once (works as a ranged attack for wizards)
- Remove separate spells to recover blunt and edge weapons, add weaker variation of repair weapon
- Make Hunter start with Momi Gyr spell.
- Make Arcane start with Rew Ram spell.
- Reduce MP cost of Kam Va (enchant wand) spell.
- Change Hunter magic schools to second circle of life and matter.
- Change Hunter starting magic power to 1.
- Make starting wands have full charge
- Cap combat to 13 max
- Allow closing the action dialog (canceling selection)
- Tweaks on help screens
- Create sprites in case they don’t exist, for the gameover screen
- Fix issue with magic power 0 when used in empty room
- Prevent targeting yourself on ranged mode
- Add key captures for arrows to prevent scrolling when embedded.
Plans for the future
I won’t have a lot of time next month for Ananias, however I have a big revamp in mind related to the structure of the world, and the plot of the game. Also pending are some missing steam achievements as well as fixing the steam overlay and finishing the keyboard command (although 90% of the game is now playable using a keyboard).
So, I’ve decided to give the game a go – There’s been a lot of talk recently about it, and I think it’s about time I fire it and see how it’s currently shaping… after some sessions I’ll give my thoughts about it.
Read on to the First Part
I’ve updated Project Picker to use riotControl to handle all actions, including moving all model management to store objects. If you are using riot in your FE, this may be useful.
In order to test using multiple stores, I added a pretty useless “history” functionality which keeps track of the projects chosen by the picker.
Here’s how it works, there are three different kinds of actions:
- User actions
- Triggered by a user doing an action on the tag. (for example, clicking a button)
- Handled inside the tags (riotControl not involved)
- Command actions:
- Triggered by a user action handler after gathering all required info from the tag.
- Handled by the stores to execute actions.
- Result actions:
- Triggered by a command action handler after an action has been executed.
- Handled by the tags (and stores to a lesser extent) to update their model.
Check the source code or see it live.
The campaign has started strong with big contributions from interesting people I’d like to mention:
OpenArthurianX6 will be an open source game engine to create games similar to Ultima 6.
If the campaign is funded, I will work with Jucarave on this.
More info on the campaign page.
Toned down the palette a bit on the ocean and grass tiles.
Also added forest and “plains” variations, replacing the fixed tropical palm trees and brown patches of land, also put some trees in front of them mountains to make them blend a bit better.
Started working on the rivers, gotta do some big changes on the model to pick the tiles based on the world model instead of the player’s perception (since the field of view can greatly affect it). That is, there may be a river tile you are not seeing to the east of the one you are seeing, the game should be able to pick a river fragment expansing eastwards, but right now it relies on perception data so it cannot know.
Another things to work in related to rivers:
- Linking together patches of river so they flow continuously
- Adding support for lagoons which will be a mix between the beaches and river models.
- Differentiating shallow ocean water to rivers.
As I feared, I’m ending up investing more time on the Java version of Expedition/Voyage than I anticipated, I just cannot release something half-baked… I’m even considering completing a bigger scope for it and releasing it as Expedition… my mind just keeps spinning and spinning.
Following advise from Juegos Indie, I decided to release Ananias in some more storefronts. First up is the classic, newgrounds.com
Check it out here and vote for it so it’s taken off the “Under Judgement” status 🙂