“XRLs” are roguelikes themed around a popular series, in this page you will find games based on classic Nintendo series such as Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda and Megaman. You will also find a tribute to Richard Garriots’ “Ultima” series, in the shape of “Escape from Mt. Drash: The Roguelike” (Which, paradoxically, was not produced by Mr. Garriot)
All of these games have something in common, they are intended not to be overly complex to get into: keybindings have been reduced, music has been introduced (and graphics in some of them) and gameplay is straightforward. They can be considered coffeebreak roguelikes
Over the years, I have been developing them on and off, but I have found my limited human energy not to be enough to turn them into what I want; they have remained interesting – yet unpolished. Thus, the openXRL initiative came into being.
I have released all of these games under the GPLv3 Open Source License, you are now free to develop them. If you want to become the (official) maintainer of one of these games, just contact me and I will be glad to be of assistance. The following are the only requirements.
Proficiency on Java Development
Love for the series on which the game is based
Having developed another roguelike is desired
Be Warned, the source code of some of these is scary, only brave people go ahead!
So, without any further ado, I present you the games! TAKE A LOOK!
* Environmental Effects (Fog, Rain, Storm, Sunny)
* Active Evade: Enemies target your last location
* Training mode is now less sparse and much more informative
* The game manual has been organized and a lot of more info added
* Remappeable keys
* Dodge Skill added
* Underwater combat with some weapon classes
* Damage is now displayed in the messages
* Some areas of the castle are now more “interesting”
* Skills are now easier to acquire
* Balanced difficulty for manbeast on mid game
* Two handed weapons
Now showing caused and received damage, which took a long time (sorry about that, it annoys me when I have to invest more time in this sort of things that seem so simple in the end product 😛 )
The manual is also much better now, I am linking it for reference: Manual
- 0000930: [Bug Report] Last messages not show
- 0000995: [Tasks] Show caused and received damage
- 0000994: [Bug Report] Weapon shop always empty
- 0000081: [Request for Enhancement] Lack of thorough instructions in the manual
- 0000993: [Tasks] Add confirmation to warp when has hostage
- 0000067: [Request for Enhancement] Change view distance in castle quarters
- 0000065: [Request for Enhancement] Name changes