Fourth year in a row, I’m activating misilleta.com; it’s a facebook app where people creates flowers arrangements and shares them with friends, did it on my own for a local tradicional event in my city (Medellin Flowers Fair)
This year someone told me to make it so that the app could create the flower arrangements automatically using the user’s profile picture, so I set into it 🙂
I’m using the basic php gd functions for image handling, basically obtaining the image data from a URL, scaling it, adding contrast and then going thru the pixels, looking for the flower that matches its color best (using a simple less-distance criteria on the RGB cube) and placing with a bit of a random variation into the virtual flower canvas; then connecting to the already existing infrastructure for handling the flower arrangements.
In the process I found out the flowers that I had there were not covering enough hues (so the pictures looked a bit crazy)
I had to color some of the flowers to cover more of the green and blue hues, as well as black and grey.