Adding a bit more detail of the features of OpenArthurianX6. You can still contribute to the campaign (23 days left).
What kind of game will you be able to create?
The engine will allow you to create 2D top down RPGs using orthogonal grid maps with an hybrid real time / turn based mode (real time for normal gameplay, turn based for combat).
The core of the engine is inspired by the Ultima VI engine, which means you can model your game world as a continuous single scale map where all action takes place (including combat) and you will be able to engage in conversation with NPCs to obtain information and advance through the game and its plot, using plot items to resolve puzzles and uncover secrets and exploring the vast world to find surprises.
Supported graphic styles include the oblique perspective characteristic of the Ultima IV engine, as well as a 3/4 front facing perspective similar to traditional jRPGs ala RPGMaker, and a full top down perspective for more symbolic, old school games similar to Ultima V.
The game will include two medieval fantasy art packs from Denzi: one will allow creating maps with an oblique, Ultima VI like perspective, while another one will allow creating older school looking top down games. New art packs will be released as allowed by the campaign budget.
Music and SFX
The engine will support situational music triggered by game events or tied to game locations, as well as sound effects for the game actions. Supported formats are MP3, OGG and WAV.
The engine comes bundled with a basic SFX pack. Music is left to the game developer to find for his own game.
- Multiple characters party: You will be able to have NPCs and pets join your party, they will follow you around and you’ll be able to command them in combat if needed.
- NPC Schedules: They wake up every day to go to their jobs and come back home in the night. Schedules are customizable per NPC.
- Day and Night cycles: Reduced visibility during the night, different enemies activity.
- Camping: Make camp in the wilderness to recover your strength, beware being ambushed!
- Party AI: When in battle mode, other party members can act on their own optionally, selecting a proper target for attack or running away based on general parameters.
- Dialogs: Create an history which is unveiled by talking with NPCs, finding clues and using the information you obtain from the to travel the world.
- Crafting: Gather elements from the world and combine them between themselves or other items to create new items. Obtain leather from dead animals and create clothing from it, bake bread (of course!), create weapons using metals in a forge, and more!
The games created by the engine will be accessible for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile (Android, iOS) and also playable from modern browsers.
Supported input modes
- Keyboard: Movement will be done using the arrow keys, numpad or WASDpad.
- Mouse and touch interfaces: Movement will be done by touching the map in the cardinal direction the player wants to move (without pathfinding). Drag and drop will be supported for inventory management.
The engine will be released under the MIT License, allowing you to use the engine for both commercial and non-commercial works, without you having to include any modifications or additional source code. All community contributions will be welcome of course.
Scripting and Programming