Even tho I’m not completely happy with the results and lots of things could have been done better, I decided to mark PokemonRL as a “Finished” entry for the 2017 7DRL Challenge, which means it’ll get feedback from the evaluation committee and will be more visible to players.
The main reason for this is I feel it’s stable enough and I managed to implement a roguelike with a winning condition which is interesting to play. The one big thing I missed, adding all required data, makes the experience feel incomplete, but it still meets the challenge criteria.
I have released the 7drl++ version which fixes 3 critical issues:
- Stat calculations (Specially HP which was off by about 100 HP)
- Remove test move sets from some pokemon races
- Prevent messages from disappearing on the text box
- Fix amount of damage recovered by potions
- Make starting monsters be level 5
You can check it out here
The original 7drl submission without these fixes is also accessible, of course.
Now that the challenge is over, I decided to continue working on it to finish my initial vision. I’m gathering data for all Gen 1 pokemon in order to load it into the game.