<insert complaint about being too busy here>
At long last was finally able to start working on the procedural aspects of the game. After a false start trying to come up with a generator that created the rooms layout directly, I decided to do a two steps process where I first generate a general layout and then I can go through each room and transform it to the format required for the engine.
I took Ananias’ dungeon generator as a base, removed a LOT of things on it, and tweaked it for the purposes of this game (super narrow rooms with 8 specific possible exits and no corridors at all.
It took some effort but finally got some good results. Next step involves mapping this to room data, including translating the vertical rooms to the horizontal format.
I still need to add the locks / unlocks to it (i.e, pairs of keys and locked doors, or some other kinds of more creative obstacles). But I’ll first integrate this basic map into the engine so the player can roam the mansion.
Already thinking in the best way to cut the scope to provide a finished product while it still being interesting and not just an alternate format for a plain exploration game with lots of backtracking.
Things on the ToDo:
- Integrate mansion layout generator with the engine
- Character art and walking animation
- Better Inspect stage objects (Description)
- Layout generator including keys and doors
- Mansion history generator