Some of the topics discussed in the interview:
- How I got into game development and the bad habits I acquired and almost didn’t get rid of.
- Usenet groups for roguelike development and ultima dragons.
- The history of Roguebasin.
- How (I believe!) roguelikes became semi-mainstream (a history of Kornel and Derek Yu)
- My relationship with Ultima and the Ultima Dragons, and Ultima games on the NES (Except Warriors of Destiny because it doesn’t exist.).
- The 7DRLs I made based on existing universes, and the 7DRLs I made trying to make roguelikes more accessible.
- The profound history behind the name of Ananias Roguelike, and how to pronounce it.
- The importance of building a community around the game.
- The history of Expedition, from its 7DRL origins to a failed first project as full-time indie, to the current unity based version and the team behind it and our efforts to get funds for its development.
Check the interview here.